Want to learn about how the ocean and your life are intrinsically connected? Love the ocean and the many wonderful life it supports no matter where you are? Concerned about the challenges our ocean faces? Wonder how to help?
If you answered YES to any or all of these questions, the Ocean Action Campaign invites you to join the global community to take action to help saving our ocean.
The Ocean Action Campaign welcomes volunteers from all walks of life to boost the implementation of existing voluntary commitments for the Sustainable Development Goal 14 (SDG 14) pledged at the 2017 Ocean Conference. The Campaign will also boost the number of new commitments.
Ocean produces half of the oxygen we breathe. 4 out of 10 people in the world depend on the ocean for food. Ocean creates jobs and income for 1 in every 10 people in the world.
What are the Voluntary Commitments and the SDG 14?
In June 2017, United Nations convened the first ever Ocean Conference in New York to support the implementation of SDG 14. The Conference aimed at reversing the decline in the health of our ocean for people, planet, and prosperity.
A Call for Action from the Conference received over 1,400 voluntary commitments made by governments and many organizations and communities to support the achievement of SDG 14 targets.
SDG-14 targets are very ambitious and likely to be missed by many countries if a big push does not take place globally by both organizations and individuals. Many of the SDG-14 targets have a deadline of 2020.
What actions will you take?
Small or big, every action counts! Choose from suggested commitments or create your own. We are excited to see what you will do!
- Stop drinking bottled water
- Make better seafood choices
- Don’t use disposable plastic cups, cutlery and straws
- Stop using products with microplastics
- Organize a beach clean-up
- Avoid buying goods in plastic packages
- Support an organization that saves marine life
- Tell your friends and family why it’s important for everyone to take action to save our Ocean
- Use social media to spread the word about the future of our Ocean
- Join the Ocean Action Hub to share what actions you are doing to help save our Ocean
- CREATE YOUR OWN ACTION