5 May 2017 - World Ocean's Day, the annual global event aimed at tackling some of the biggest threats facing our oceans, will take place on June 8, 2017. This year's theme is 'Our Oceans, Our Future' and the main focus will be educating the public about the devastating impact of plastic pollution as well as working to clean the ocean of litter wherever possible.
Getting involved is easy. There are hundreds of events taking place all over the world - just pick your favourite and get stuck in! Here's a selection of some of the most exciting events taking place on World Ocean's Day:
- Peru: Nothin' But Sand - head to Lima's Playa San Pedro for a morning of beach cleaning, team work, games and activities on June 10. Find out more here.
- United States: NOAA Open House - the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Washington will be opening its doors to the public on June 9 with a series of free talks, panels, exhibits and tours about the vital works it is doing to protect the oceans. Find out more here.
- United States: North Shore Ocean Fest - Hawaii's Turtle Bay Resort will play host to a day family-oriented ocean fun on June 3. The North shore Ocean Fest will feature educational events, water activities, guided hikes, live music, hula, art, poetry, crafts and film screenings in aid of World Oceans Day. Find our more here.
- United States: Sharkwater Research Vessel Christening - shark protection organisations Sharkwater and Fins Attached will be holding a special christening ceremony for a new research vessel in honour of environmentalist Rob Stewart in Fort Lauderdale on June 8. Fien out more here.
- Canada: A Plastic Ocean Screening - the Sea shepherd Conservation Society will be hosting the Toronto premiere of powerful ocean conservation documentary A Plastic Ocean followed by a Q&A with the University of Toronto's Chelsea Rochman on June 8. Find out more here.
- Canada: Lunenburg Heritage & Marine Stewardship Project - the Bluenose Coastal Action Foundation will be hosting a joint celebration of World Oceans Day and Canada's 150th anniversary in Lunenburg on June 10. Join in with ocean-themed crafts, dory riders, traditional wooden schooner tours and more family activities. Find out more here.
- Belgium: World Ocean Day Belgium - kicking off a series of summer events long the Belgian coast, World Ocean Day Belgium will take place in Oostende on June 8 and include lectures, stand-up comedy, debates and a 'sea market'. Find out more here.
- Throughout Europe: 12 Marathons on a SUP - Carolyn Newton and Carlos de Sousa will be completing 12 marathons on SUPs made from plastic bottles stopping at locations across Europe to teach communities about the dangers of plastic pollution. Find out more here.
- UK: Newquay Harbour Open Day - meet the fisherman as the return with the day's catch, learn about the harbour's efforts to reduce plastic pollution and take a sea safari along the Cornwall coast. Find out more here.
- Italy: Save the Ocean Dance Party - join Blue Revolution at Seven Ristorante in Cortona for an all-night dance party and vegan dinner in aid of World Oceans Day on June 8. Find out more here.
- Taiwan: Problue Loves Our Oceans Beach Clean-Up - join Taiwanese diving equipment manufacturer Problue at Houbihu Beach in Kenting on June 3 to help clean-up the beach and learn more about how to preserve our oceans. Find out more here.
- United Arab Emirates: Lost Chambers Aquarium Family Fun Day - to mark World Oceans Day, Dubai's Lost Chambers Aquarium will be hosting a day of educational activities, talks and craft displays with free entry for children. Find out more here.
- Thailand: Electric Artificial Reefs for World Oceans Day - Thailand's New Heaven Reef Conservation Program will be hosting a special day of events at its Koh Tao base on June 8. Take part in beach clean-ups, talks on climate change, coral restoration and sea turtle tracking and diving/snorkelling the electric artificial reef as well as enjoying a BBQ and games. Find out more here.
- Philippines: World Oceans Day Beach Clean-Up - join campaign group Plastic Free Bohol in a clean-up of Doljo Beach on June 10. Find out more here.
- Nigeria: Atican Beach Clean-Up - head to Atican Beach in Lagos on June 6 to help rid it of plastic debris and plant 500 coconut trees at the shoreline. Find out more here.
- South Africa: Four Elements Ocean Challenge - head to Durban for the annual three mile open water ocean swim on May 13 to raise awareness for World Oceans Day as well as funds for online educational resources for young people wishing to become environmental entrepreneurs. Find out more here.
- Australia: Marine Science Forum - the RSL Club in Merimbula will be hosting Marine Extremes: From the Beach to the Deep, a marine science forum, on June 3 and 4. The event will see five scientists present their marine research as well as offer participants the chance to take part in an outdoor excursion and forum dinner. Find out more here.
- Australia: World Oceans Day at Port Willunga Beach - get back to nature at Port Willunga Beach with a day of mindful walking meditation, beach cleaning and educational activities discovering the Port Willunga coast. Find out more here.