MONDAY, 5 JUNE 2017
9:00 AM - 10:30 AM
CONFERENCE ROOM 6, UNHQ
View photos from the event here >
The IAI side-event was live and on-demand at: webtv.un.org
Co-organized by the Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI) and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), in collaboration with Brazil and with participation of delegates from Argentina and the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
The sixth assessment report (AR6) of the Inter-Governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) will assess scientific literature on the role of oceans and cryosphere in the climate system by September 2019. The report will guide policy options relevant to the implications of climate related ocean changes for resources, natural and human systems, vulnerability, adaptation and risk. Scientists from the Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI) regional interdisciplinary marine research network in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Uruguay and USA working in collaboration with France, Germany and South Africa have maintained highquality observations and developed numerical simulations to establish the current state of the oceans and its evolution in recent decades. Through strategic planning and international collaboration, these scientists have successfully contributed to enacting specific ocean research legislations.
At this expert panel, scientists and delegates will discuss current scientific knowledge, technological development, funding gaps and potential contributions to SDG14 targets 14.2, 14.3, 14.4a on management of coastal and marine ecosystems, ocean acidification, restoring fish stocks and scientific knowledge and technology transfer, in an effort to identify knowledge gaps and contribute towards national action plans to better cope with climate and human induced changes in the oceans.
This expert panel will be moderated by Ms. Jessica Faieta, Assistant Secretary-General and Director, Regional Bureau for Latin America and the Caribbean, United Nations Development Programme.
- H.E. Francisco Domínguez Brito, Minister of Environment and Natural Resources, Government of Dominican Republic
- H.E. Diego Moreno, Vice Minister, National Secretary of Environment, Climate Change and Sustainable Development, Government of Argentina
- Dr. Alberto Piola, Southern Ocean Carbon and Climate Observations and Modeling project (SOCCOM), and Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI)
- Dr. Jose Muelbert, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande and Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI)
- Dr. Rebecca Klaus, Senior advisor and expert in Marine Spatial Planning and Marine Protected Areas, Cousteau Society
- Mr. Nik Sekhran, Director for Sustainable Development, Bureau for Policy and Programme Support, UNDP
Ione Anderson, UN Liaison Officer, Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research firstname.lastname@example.org +1 (305) 215-9397
Renata Rubian, United Nations Development Programme email@example.com
More info: http://www.iai.int/?p=23632&lang=en
Official Conference programme: https://oceanconference.un.org/index.php?page=view&type=20000&nr=1307&me...