Ocean Action Hub
#SaveOurOcean In 1950, the seas were abundant with fish, with 22 percent of the available stock being fished at a sustainable level ... leaving 78 percent "Developing" or "underexploited” ...but over the years, that's changed. Shortly thereafter, parts of the ocean became over-exploited, with fish being removed faster than can be naturally replenished. In 1961, parts of the oceans started to collapse, never before seen in our history… ...and over the years that trend continued. At last count, in 2014, only 17 percent of the world's fish stocks were considered "developing". 16 percent of the world’s oceans were overfished, and 2 percent were collapsed. Overfishing leads to annual global economic losses of 83 billion dollars. By 2030, global aquaculture will need to grow by at least 4% per year to meet projected demand... But there is hope. Marine protected areas support the recovery of fish stocks, often doubling or tripling spawning numbers with ten-fold increases in egg production in just 5 to 10 years.
No votes yet
Publication date: 
Publication Organisation: 
Thematic Area: 
Sustainable fisheries